Member Ordering

Lars Hansen lhansen at adobe.com
Wed Jun 4 10:52:58 PDT 2008

(Bringing back cross-posting to es4-discuss.)

Why should Array objects be treated specially?  I can't
speak to the current internals of Opera, but I know that
in the past it segregated named and numbered properties,
independently of the type of the Object, and enumeration
of properties did not depend on the type of object.  That
seems like a feature.

ES4 'vector' won't behave anything like this.  The current
spec says that the default iterator for vector enumerates
properties in the range 0 .. length-1 in that order and
skips prototype properties and all named properties.
Programmers who want to enumerate those have to create a
custom Enumerator object.

We also believe that the right thing is to provide some
facilities on Array objects so that for-in loops can be
used to iterate across numbered properties only, eg, a
'range' property that delivers a suitable iterator.  But
some details remain unsettled.

It's possible that the uniform thing to do would be for
enumeration to work the same on vector as on Array, and for
there to be a 'range' property on vector to deliver the
sane iterator.  But IMO the Array behavior is broken and
would be changed, were it not for backward compatibility
concerns.

--lars