proper tail calls

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:09:55 PST 2008

2008/1/24 Nathan de Vries <nathan at atnan.com>:
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 20:04 +0100, Chris Pine wrote:
>
> > It was agreed that implementations would always be free to implement
> > PTC...
>
> Really? That wasn't the impression I got. My understanding is that if
> PTC isn't a requirement, it should not exist. As a programmer, I don't
> want to need to keep track of whether which implementations support my
> programming style. Do we really want "ES4" and "Stackless ES4" (for
> example)?

I believe that is the situation now with ES3 and that an ES3
implementation can use proper tail calls if it wishes to. The string
"tail" doesn't even appear in the ES3 spec.

[snip]

> PS: What's the go with everyone including long lists of CCs? Isn't
> everyone here on es4-discuss at mozilla.org?

For this list, "reply" doesn't default to the list. To post to the
list, I think folks just hit "reply all" and don't clean up the list
of CCs.

Peter