proper tail calls

Nathan de Vries nathan at
Thu Jan 24 15:38:47 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 20:04 +0100, Chris Pine wrote:
> It was agreed that implementations would always be free to implement
> PTC...

Really? That wasn't the impression I got. My understanding is that if
PTC isn't a requirement, it should not exist. As a programmer, I don't
want to need to keep track of whether which implementations support my
programming style. Do we really want "ES4" and "Stackless ES4" (for

Peter Michaux put it nicely when he said:

> If there are no requirements for proper tail calls then they cannot be
> depended upon and are useless.

Portability is a huge requirement for me, and if there's a valid reason
for leaving PTC out of an implementation history shows that someone

Nathan de Vries

PS: What's the go with everyone including long lists of CCs? Isn't
everyone here on es4-discuss at