proper tail calls

Peter Michaux petermichaux at
Tue Jan 22 13:03:26 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 12:44 PM, Steven Johnson <stejohns at> wrote:
> On 1/22/08 12:14 PM, "Lars T Hansen" <lth at> wrote:

> Question: should an implementation be *required* to execute a tail call as a
> Proper Tail Call when possible, even if said syntax is not present? (or
> merely *permitted* to do so?)

If there is no guarantee then the implicit proper tail calls feature
is useless to someone writing code for a variety of implementations
(eg web browsers.) If there are implicit proper tail calls then I need
to know when I can count on them and I will only use them in those
situations listed in the ES4 spec.