proper tail calls

Thomas Reilly treilly at adobe.com
Tue Jan 22 09:27:23 PST 2008

> I can't argue the sentiment.  But exactly how soon will such advanced
> debugging tools be generally available and in the hands of the
> programmers we're discussing?  Before ES4 has given way to ES5/6/7?

Flex Builder represents such a tool and it exists today.  Sure you have
squint
your eyes to equate AS3 with ES4 but its not far off.  At first blush I
would
think the debugger would just disable this feature and have a setting to
turn
it back on if it caused problems.  When its on the debugger could
highlight this
somehow with a stack frame annotation of some sort.   The profiler could
just
represent it with an iteration count on the stack frame or something.
Anyway I
agree with Brendan's sentiment that the tail shouldn't wag the dog and
that the
debuggability issue can be adequately handled by the debugger and
therefore shouldn't
exert any influence on this feature.

As an aside I think looking at the nature of web browsers and the web's
history I think
ES4 might have quite a long shelf life and we shouldn't be tempted to
push things off
to future revs.  That said my earlier comments about kicking Santa in
the shins if ES4
isn't done by Christmas still apply ;-)