proper tail calls

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 08:57:48 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 5:34 AM, Igor Bukanov <igor at mir2.org> wrote:
> On 21/01/2008, Igor Bukanov <igor at mir2.org> wrote:
> > then I would prefer to make the tail calls an optional optimization in
> > the same way as the type checker is optional.
>
> And if Haskell language specs can leave the issue of tail call
> optimization up to implementations, then I do not see why ES4 can not
> do the same.

I think Haskell and ES are in different situations as a developer
chooses a Haskel implementation for execution. ES4 code for the web is
almost certainly going to run on multiple ES4 implementations. If
there are no requirements for proper tail calls then they cannot be
depended upon and are useless.

Peter