implementation dependencies (was Re: ES4 work)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Feb 22 00:01:13 PST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 11:40 PM, Michael O'Brien wrote:

> The reason is we could remove a few road blocks with some design
> notes.
> These won't be as complete as the spec but could from the basis of
> writing some of the spec prose.

Ok.

>> Also, the spec can reference the RI (not just SML but, for the
>> standard library, the self-hosted ES4!) in a systematic way.
>> Proposals
>> preceded the RI.
>
> The problem here is time. I think doing the spec with the required
> level
> of rigour will take much longer than would be ideal to get
> implementations started.

Yes, I've agreed with this loudly recently (no waterfall).

>> Tracking issues is a job for the trac, although there's always room
>> for on-the-side summaries linking to tickets, if you keep editing to
>> keep up with the primary source of truth in the trac.
>
> I think the summaries are where the gold is. That is the piece we are
> missing. We actually have a lot of information, but it is scattered
> and
> hard to put together in a coherent manner.

In this light the overview and tutorial were more than the sum of
their parts from the wiki and trac.

>>> I'll start the ball rolling with writing up some notes on Program
>>> Units, use unit and unit dependencies. Brendan/Jeff: what format
>>> would you like these notes in?
>>

> You missed this question above.

No, I ducked :-). Lars is editor with Jeff assisting and (as always)
maintaining the grammar; I would appreciate Graydon's thoughts too.