ES4 implementation process, teams, and meetings

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Feb 21 12:54:14 PST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Geoffrey Garen wrote:

>>> I'd like Apple and the WebKit project to get involved with ES4
>>> implementation. But right now, as far as I can tell, there isn't a
>>> written record for any of ES4's features that I could point an
>>> engineer to and say "implement this".
>>
>> There's certainly no such spec, or you would be a passive observer
>> of a standardization process that was all but done. That's not
>> reality, and it arguably is not what you should want -- Apple people
>> could be valued peers in the remaining work on ES4.
>>
>> If you want to be passive implementors of a finished spec, then wait
>> till next year.
>
> I know that I, at least, don't want to be a passive implementor of a
> finished spec. I want to be an active contributor to a spec in
> progress.

Great, glad to hear it.

> However, since there is no spec -- at least, not one I can lay my
> hands on

Have you looked at the RI?

> -- I'll have to wait until the "people in the know" finish
> their implementations and then write a spec.

C'mon, we're explicitly proposing an annealing process where we write
specs or design notes, referencing the RI by all means but also
illuminating it, and using prose where it's appropriate anyway --
where we won't be putting code in the final spec. We never proposed
to implement first, then write a big spec.

What's with all these straw men?