ES4 implementation process, teams, and meetings

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Feb 21 11:12:39 PST 2008

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Brendan Eich wrote:

> > In contrast, with CSS, Web API or HTML WG specifications, I can point
> > engineers to a spec that is more or less accurate for a given feature
> > and they only have to ask questions about the few missing details.
>
> And then Hixie goes and rewrites it. I am calling b.s. here, Maciej. We
> implemented offline web app support early in Firefox 3, based on such
> WHAT-WG (ok, not HTML WG at the time) specs. They changed a great deal
> later.

In all fairness, they changed in response to feedback from the Mozilla
implementors. To paraphrase you, if the spec didn't change, you would be a
passive observer of a standardization process that was all but done.
That's not reality, and it arguably is not what you should want -- Mozilla
people are and hopefully will remain valued peers in the remaining work on
HTML5. If you want to be passive implementors of a finished spec, then
wait a few years.

(Reply-To set to implementors at whatwg.org.)