ES4 implementation process, teams, and meetings

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Feb 21 08:30:10 PST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 8:14 AM, Geoffrey Garen wrote:

> Is there a published specification that all these implementors will be
> using?

To expand a bit on Geoff's comment:

I'd like Apple and the WebKit project to get involved with ES4
implementation. But right now, as far as I can tell, there isn't a
written record for any of ES4's features that I could point an
engineer to and say "implement this". The proposals on the wiki are
way out of date, it's not easy to find what trac tickets modified
them, and there seem to be commonly understood planned changes that
aren't even reflected in trac.

Before attempting interoperable implementations of particular
features, I think we need at minimum a form of the proposal for that
feature that is complete and up to date. It doesn't have to be formal
specification quality, but there has to be something accurate.

Now, it may be that by telling someone to reverse engineer another
implementation, or ask the ES4 crowd about every detail of how a
feature should be implemented, someone could succeed in implementing.
But it seems to me that this undermines the unstated assumption of
interoperable *independent* implementations.

In contrast, with CSS, Web API or HTML WG specifications, I can point
engineers to a spec that is more or less accurate for a given feature
and they only have to ask questions about the few missing details. I
would raise HTML5 as a particularly laudable example because it
achieves this even though much implementation work is happening in
parallel with writing the spec.

I think we should strive to achieve the same standard for ES4. At
feature granularity, someone should first write an up to date accurate
document and implementations should be done against that, not against
some separate shared understanding of the feature.

Regards,
Maciej