ES3.1 Proposal Working Draft - decimal support

Mike Cowlishaw MFC at uk.ibm.com
Thu Feb 21 02:13:36 PST 2008

OK, thanks (also for the archive pointer).

Mike

Mike Cowlishaw, IBM Fellow
IBM UK (MP8), PO Box 31, Birmingham Road, Warwick, CV34 5JL
mailto:mfc at uk.ibm.com  --  http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/mfcsumm.html

Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org>
21/02/2008 09:54

Mike Cowlishaw/UK/IBM at IBMGB
cc
Adam Peller <apeller at us.ibm.com>, "es4-discuss at mozilla.org es4-discuss"
<es4-discuss at mozilla.org>
Subject
Re: ES3.1 Proposal Working Draft - decimal support

On Feb 21, 2008, at 1:25 AM, Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

> Separately from the decimal discussion, I am a bit confused at how
> ES3.x
> or ES4 is migrated to from ES3.  If the syntax cannot change then that
> implies that the semantics change without any indication in the
> syntax.

ES4 has new syntax; the syntax-cannot-change has been an on-then-off-
then-on-again principal for ES3.1. In particular ES4 has the m suffix
for decimal literals, and it has had some kind of 'use decimal' pragma.

> That would mean that existing scripts would work differently than
> before.
> Surely that pretty much requires some meta-notation (such as opt-in
> versioning)?

Indeed.

/be

Unless stated otherwise above: