Expanded function syntax

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Feb 1 17:36:37 PST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Mark Filipak wrote:

> Mr. Eich: Thank you for your suggestion. Unless I've been spending
> time with Mescalito, to implement
>
>   getFirstChildOfElement(Papa).withTagName('baby'),
>
> since it has no idea which child is targeted, the first function
> would have to return an array of all children. Thus .withTagName()
> would have to be added as a method of Array. Correct?

No, you could do something that avoids copying. The return value of
getFirstChildOfElement does not need to be of type Array.

> Before I sign out, may I ask if any of you have experience with
> Snobol? It is, in my opinion, a superior string processing language
> the core concepts of which would make an excellent addition to
> regular expressions.

Snobol and its successor, Icon (are there other offspring?) are neat
languages. Food for thought in a future edition, since full Unicode
and Perl 5 regexp syntax are at odds, and we have not pulled the Perl
6 lever (incompatible, more concise regexp syntax).