Proposal: Modify automatic semicolon insertion in strict mode

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Thu Dec 11 13:23:08 PST 2008

On 2008-12-11, at 13:26EST, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Is it really too onerous (upon implementors) for strict mode to make
> case (1) an error?

I think Joe the Hacker would be most happy if there were a mode (it
might be called strict) where the parser would say:

"Joe, you wrote two lines of code here that the previous
administration would have inserted a semicolon between without even
consulting you, but which I know could actually go either way.  May I
suggest that you either insert the semicolon yourself, move the
newline, or add some parens, so I don't have to worry about what was
you might have actually meant?"

Well, it doesn't have to use those exact words, but, rather than
having the rule be "you get a semicolon any time one would fit" or
"you get a semicolon any time one is needed", have the rule be "if a
semicolon would fit, but is not needed, ask the user what they really
meant".