Simple tail calls

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat Dec 6 21:22:34 PST 2008

On Dec 6, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Michael Day wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>> I created a Mozilla ticket in response and one of my comments there
>> talks about the arguments.caller problem
>
> arguments.caller is not defined by ES 3.0, right?

Not even in ES1. Same for f.caller (for some active function f). The
caller hack used by folks including the TIBET team, but it should not
be standardized. Stack backtracing by a reflection API is the way to
go, if we can agree on such a thing (post 3.1).

> I think this feature is not helpful for efficient implementations,
> and it would be best to deprecate it.

arguments.caller is not in Firefox -- what browsers still support it?

f.caller is still around but it's pretty broken (can't handle
recursion). It's also subject to security checks that censor its value
depending on who is looking at whom.