Allen's lambda syntax proposal

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Dec 4 19:05:48 PST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Breton Slivka wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>> I thought this might be the answer. It's clearly too much to ask of
>> all
>> lambda-coders and would-be lambda-coders in the world.
>>
>> My two cents, perhaps I'm wrong and the Schemers and others will
>> switch
>> their kbd configs. Or the code generators will rise and exterminate
>> lambda-coding humans. But I doubt it.
>>
>> /be
>>
> That's why you'd map it to
> l <<tab>>
> in your ide.

I don't have an ide -- March has some, but they bode ill :-P.

Seriously, of course most users could figure out how to inject a Greek
Lambda, but add up all that effort imposed on probably thousands to
millions. It's an imposition. It is not a cost free good. Why is it so
important to use a non-ASCII character?

> Also, you wouldn't be inconveniencing all lambda coders in the world.
> Only the ones without greek keyboards. Are there just not enough greek
> javascripters to matter?

Heh. While I would like to think so, I doubt it. But you never know...