Allen's lambda syntax proposal

Jon Zeppieri jaz at
Thu Dec 4 15:38:59 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Jon Zeppieri wrote:
>> 2008/12/4 Breton Slivka <zen at>:
>>> this may be a stupid question, but why? Is it really so impossible to
>>> have λ(a,b,c){}  ?
>> Last time I brought this up, Brendan made fun of me on a podcast. :(
> Not you personally! I hope that was at least a :-/ emoticon...

Oops.  You see the typographical limitations we're still saddled with?
 The mock-wounded :( and the actually-wounded :( aren't slated to have
distinct code points until Unicode 17.

> If we have to go to one character, though, I'd rather we use an ASCII
> punctuation character, for the reasons given (hard to type, slight
> incompatibility). But you λ fans need to help me here: how does one type λ
> on a Mac laptop? How about on a standard Windows machine? Pick a Linux and
> lay the clues on there, too.

I'm a lot more likely to do this within emacs (or an editor, in
general) than at the system / window system level.  Anyhow, ASCII
punctuation is great, if we can settle on a candidate.