Allen's lambda syntax proposal

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Dec 4 15:10:48 PST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Jon Zeppieri wrote:

> 2008/12/4 Breton Slivka <zen at zenpsycho.com>:
>>
>> this may be a stupid question, but why? Is it really so impossible to
>> have λ(a,b,c){}  ?
>
> Last time I brought this up, Brendan made fun of me on a podcast. :(

Not you personally! I hope that was at least a :-/ emoticon...

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>> On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Breton Slivka wrote:
>>
>>> I admit this seems ludicrous at its face, but admittedly I have not
>>> really seen the arguments against λ as an abbreviated lambda syntax
>>> yet.
>>
>> Not compatibly: ES3 already allows Unicode identifiers, including
>> Greek
>> Lambda.
>
> Also including the word 'lambda' -- but that hasn't stopped it from
> being seriously considered.

True enough. And 'lambda' is likelier to be in use in web JS as an
identifier than λ, at a guess.

If we have to go to one character, though, I'd rather we use an ASCII
punctuation character, for the reasons given (hard to type, slight
incompatibility). But you λ fans need to help me here: how does one
type λ on a Mac laptop? How about on a standard Windows machine? Pick
a Linux and lay the clues on there, too.