Allen's lambda syntax proposal

Jon Zeppieri jaz at bu.edu
Thu Dec 4 14:45:54 PST 2008

[oops, sent from the wrong address...]

2008/12/4 Breton Slivka <zen at zenpsycho.com>:

> this may be a stupid question, but why? Is it really so impossible to
> have λ(a,b,c){}  ?

Last time I brought this up, Brendan made fun of me on a podcast. :(

> You guys seem to have no trouble typing it. It's not that much trouble
> to remap a key, and you can always keep lambda(a,b,c){} as a more
> verbose but more accessable alternative. IDEs could make a macro out
> of it so you wouldn't even have to bother with going to the trouble of
> remapping.

Exactly what I wrote then.

> I admit this seems ludicrous at its face, but admittedly I have not
> really seen the arguments against λ as an abbreviated lambda syntax
> yet.

Well aside from the "random guy doesn't know how to map a key" problem
(which is perfectly true), I could see some character set issues in
the field.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Breton Slivka wrote:
>
>> I admit this seems ludicrous at its face, but admittedly I have not
>> really seen the arguments against λ as an abbreviated lambda syntax
>> yet.
>
> Not compatibly: ES3 already allows Unicode identifiers, including Greek
> Lambda.

Also including the word 'lambda' -- but that hasn't stopped it from
being seriously considered.

-Jon