Allen's lambda syntax proposal

Yuh-Ruey Chen maian330 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 04:56:35 PST 2008

Brendan Eich wrote:
> C# uses (a, b, c) => ... but in JS the comma operator makes that nasty
> to parse top-down. I think the only candidates have to be of the form
>
> ^(a, b, c) {...}
>
> (^ could be another character, but it seems to beat \ as others have
> noted), or else the Smalltalky
>
> { |a, b, c| ... }
>
> At this point we need a bake-off, or a convincing argument against the
> unusual vertical bar usage.

Here's a possible technical issue that might not apply to ES: Ruby
blocks params can't have default arguments according to
http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?Changes+in+Ruby+1.9#l9 :

    The new syntax allows to specify default values for block arguments,
    since

    is said to be impossible with Ruby's current LALR(1) parser, built
    with bison.