Allen's lambda syntax proposal

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:32:46 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Peter Michaux wrote:

>> Take an ES program and replace all if-else with ?: and then most
>> functions with {||} and it starts to look quite cryptic.
>
> But functions remain. I doubt lambdas in any synax will replace them.

Actually, I think the combination of Object.create, lambda, rest
parameters and class will probably eliminate function and prototype
from most code.

lambda will be slightly faster and lighter than function. Programmers
like faster and lighter when it comes at no cost.

People seem to want to think in terms of classes and not the prototype
property of a function object. Colin Moock's book on AS2 recommended
against using prototype after the introduction of class to that
language.

Peter