Allen's lambda syntax proposal

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Mon Dec 1 07:31:38 PST 2008

On 2008-11-30, at 01:30EST, Brendan Eich wrote:

> // Instead of lambda (a, b, c) { ... }, why not:

I would rather have a more literate syntax, lest we degenerate to
where practically any comic book blasphemy is a valid program.

(BTW, I'm pretty sure I have that same Byte issue, in a similar box,
with a similar musty smell, _and_ "the blue book".  Back then,
worrying that 'line noise' or the death throes of your modem hanging
up would write code for you was a legitimate concern.  Today, it is
just my old eyes that might gloss over `{||` and wonder why the `var`s
in that block are not visible in the enclosing function...)