Look Ma, no "this" (was: ECMAScript Harmony)

Erik Arvidsson erik.arvidsson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 12:47:26 PDT 2008

If you take the subject and event example and scale that up ten fold
so that the object has 20 methods instead of 2 the code quickly
becomes hard to maintain and the size over the wire increases quickly.
 I think what Ihab said points this out clearly and without a good
forwarding mechanism ZI seems unmaintainable.

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 15:33, Peter Michaux <petermichaux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>> No, prototypes are here to stay. There's even Object.create to
>> relieve prototypers from having to write constructor functions.
>>
>> The desire to explore ZI is two-fold:
>>
>> 1. It may help the committee to see the smallest possible proposal,
>> and work up from there to SI and MI.
>>
>> 2. It may help the language to avoid adding another kind of
>> inheritance than prototype-based delegation.
>
> In a famous email, which many here have probably read, Alan Kay wrote
> about leaving inheritance out of "object-oriented programming".
>
> From: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~ram/pub/pub_jf47ht81Ht/doc_kay_oop_en

> - I didn't like the way Simula I or Simula 67 did inheritance
> (though I thought Nygaard and Dahl were just tremendous thinkers and
> designers). So I decided to leave out inheritance as a built-in
> feature until I understood it better.
>
> This conservative approach seems apt for the situation of classes and
> inheritance in ECMAScript. If classes are to be merely sugar for other
> language features (purely ES3.1 features?), we don't know exactly what
> those other parts are and have no experience seeing what is possible
> with those, then we certainly don't understand how inheritance fits
> into either the desugared or sugar pictures. It could be that the
> boilerplate that inheritance tries to solve is not a big problem as I
> tried to show in the observer pattern example. It seems reasonable to
> follow Alan's conservative approach before jumping into the deep water
> of inheritance which has a variable track records.
>
> Peter

erik