Sugar unrelated to macros -- Was: Re: Sugar

Dave Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Aug 28 19:08:52 PDT 2008

> *Lack* of hygiene is a problem. My statement in reply to Ingvar's
> citing "problems" with macro systems was that, if he meant by
> "problems" anything like "implementing hygienic macros", then
> building such systems is a solved problem for certain languages --
> albeit without complete formalization in theory. This is not to say
> hygiene being supported in Scheme transfers to JS, of course.

My mistake; I see what you're saying.

I might not go so far as to say designing and implementing hygienic
macros is a /solved/ problem (there's a wide design space) but I do
think it's acquired too much mystique. In some ways, what I'm hoping to
do with my research is demystify hygiene.

> Ingvar's sugar proposal seems free of capture problems, at a glance,

Yes, I believe it doesn't have capture problems.

> even if sugar definitions nest. But a more complete proposal would be
> needed to be sure. I was making a few assumptions from the examples.

Agreed, especially Re: the effects it would have on the parser.

Dave