Sugar unrelated to macros -- Was: Re: Sugar

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Aug 28 18:30:33 PDT 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Dave Herman wrote:

>> If you mean hygiene, that is not a practical problem so much as a
>> theoretical one. Dave knows a lot about this topic, so I'll defer
>> to him.
>
> No, hygiene is most certainly a practical problem!

*Lack* of hygiene is a problem. My statement in reply to Ingvar's
citing "problems" with macro systems was that, if he meant by
"problems" anything like "implementing hygienic macros", then
building such systems is a solved problem for certain languages --
albeit without complete formalization in theory. This is not to say
hygiene being supported in Scheme transfers to JS, of course.

Ingvar's sugar proposal seems free of capture problems, at a glance,
even if sugar definitions nest. But a more complete proposal would be
needed to be sure. I was making a few assumptions from the examples.