Look Ma, no "this" (was: ECMAScript Harmony)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sun Aug 24 23:37:46 PDT 2008

On Aug 24, 2008, at 9:44 PM, Kris Zyp wrote:

> I am surprised this is up for debate, I would also think that we
> would want
> instance-private by default.

We can debate lots of things, some that might actually be in play.
AFAIK this one is not decided in the committee (it's way too early),
but IP does have some strong proponents.

AS3, JScript.NET, and Waldemar's original ES4/JS2 work all had CP.
Java has CP. So do C++ and C#. It should not come as a surprise,
therefore, if CP has at least to be dealt with by some rationale for
IP over against CP. "Smalltalk rules" won't cut it ;-).

I'm happy to have a little debate on this topic, given the different
precedents. I'm wondering why you think there's no question.