Es-discuss - several decimal discussions

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Sun Aug 24 19:48:37 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, ISTR Mark arguing that "correspond to the same point on
> the real number line" was close enough to an "identical" test.

No, I was saying the opposite! If == or === is to mean numeric
equivalence, then it should say whether two "numbers" represent the
exact same point on the real number line. I would also recommend 1.0
== 1.0m be true, though I understand (better than I did on thursday)
that accurate mixed more magnitude comparison is expensive.

But my main point was that, unlike binary, numeric equivalence in
decimal is no longer similar to observational equivalence. If we're
going to break the utility of === as an almost perfect test of
observational equivalence, then we need something to take its place.
This beget Object.eq.

> I think I need to sit down now, I'm getting dizzy.  :-)

Likewise ;)

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM