Es-discuss - several decimal discussions

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Sun Aug 24 06:18:01 PDT 2008

Good morning everyone!  I like the posts from Brendan which occurred
while I was sleeping.

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2008, at 12:51 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>>> But this doesn't mean that throwing when a
>>> Decimal is used in any not-guaranteed-to-be-numeric operand context
>>> is good.
>>
>> Actually, throwing from valueOf would have the opposite effect.
>
> Of course, and my "not-" was a thinko. I meant "guaranteed-to-be-
> numeric". Having memorized a lot of ES3, including where the
> preferredType hint is not number, I was not trying to make the
> opposite point within the same mail message.
>
> We could throw from valueOf, but at least you and I agree it would be
> better to avoid any such a seemingly-rushed, library-only, user-
> hostile Decimal. Waldemar and I said so at the Oslo meeting, and Sam
> agrees.

Minor correction: Waledemar and you said so at the Oslo meeting, and
Sam is quite willing to explore that direction.  We agree that rushed
and user-hostile is in no-one's interest.  While others may disagree
on some specifics, I sense that Brendan and I agree more than disagree
on what is, and what is not, user hostile.

I am going to continue to do my level best to get an un-rushed,
user-friendly Decimal support into 3.1.  If I succeed, great.  If I
fail, then hopefully there is some specific issues that we can all
agree upon which needs to be worked.

> I am interested to see what Sam can pull off, in code more than spec.
> I don't doubt the spec can be done, given design decisions from IEEE
> P754 and some freedom to match JS design impedance. I'm concerned we
> won't have time to give such a purportedly user-friendly Decimal
> sufficient user testing.

Such a concern is understandable.  I fault no-one that my patch hasn't
landed.  Rob's comments, while valuable, aren't as much a concern to
me than the fact that no-one has yet to review my code.  A modest
request: if the code could be reviewed and feedback provided to me
with sufficient time for me to address the comments and the code to be
integrated into a nightly build, by default disabled, in time for the
Redmond meeting, I would appreciate it.

I see you (Brendan) asked a question about Object.eq.  Instead of
trying to lead you to the conclusion that those of us on the bi-weekly
"3.1" calls have provisionally made, let me try to get your input on
the topic.

Let's posit for the moment that adding two nickles and calling
toString() on the result produces "1.10", with the trailing zero.  I
realize that some may disagree, but for the moment, assume that to be
true.  Furthermore assume that 1.10m > 1.09m and that 1.10m < 1.11m.

Given the above, as well as your knowledge of ES history, what would
you expect the results of evaluating the following two expressions to
be:

  1.10m == 1.1m

  1.10m === 1.1m

Depending on your answers, there may be a followup question.

> /be

- Sam Ruby