Es-discuss - several decimal discussions

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sun Aug 24 01:12:30 PDT 2008

On Aug 24, 2008, at 12:51 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>> But this doesn't mean that throwing when a
>> Decimal is used in any not-guaranteed-to-be-numeric operand context
>> is good.
>
> Actually, throwing from valueOf would have the opposite effect.

Of course, and my "not-" was a thinko. I meant "guaranteed-to-be-
numeric". Having memorized a lot of ES3, including where the
preferredType hint is not number, I was not trying to make the
opposite point within the same mail message.

We could throw from valueOf, but at least you and I agree it would be
better to avoid any such a seemingly-rushed, library-only, user-
hostile Decimal. Waldemar and I said so at the Oslo meeting, and Sam
agrees.

I am interested to see what Sam can pull off, in code more than spec.
I don't doubt the spec can be done, given design decisions from IEEE
P754 and some freedom to match JS design impedance. I'm concerned we
won't have time to give such a purportedly user-friendly Decimal
sufficient user testing.