Es-discuss - several decimal discussions

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Aug 23 23:34:31 PDT 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 11:14 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2008, at 5:45 PM, ihab.awad at gmail.com wrote:
>> Point well taken. Does Maciej's followup regarding valueOf throwing
>> solve the problem?
>
> It forces would-be Decimal users to call Decimal.add(Decimal.parse(s)
> + 3)

Er, Decimal.add(Decimal.parse(s), 3) of course -- BigMistake bites
again!

The + in my mistyped version above had better throw, if we must take
this low-usability road just to jam Decimal into ES3.1 in a hurry.
Better to do operators, and if it doesn't fit in the new schedule
(finish by next spring's Ecma GA meeting), move it to Harmony.