Es-discuss - several decimal discussions

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 10:12:34 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net> wrote:
> Decimal implemented as a library would be sufficient for a 3.1
> release.

Would it not be sufficient forever?  It seems like that's the strategy
that Java, Python and C are taking, as far as the Really Important
Languages go.  I'd be more comfortable getting experience based on an
available library implementation before standardizing it, let alone
standardizing a new native numeric type, but I'm not likely to move
the committee needle.

Are people with critical decimal correctness needs using things like
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-math/ today?  Other ports of BigDecimal?
Other libraries that may be more "JS-like" than a straight port of
Java?

> To be sure, I then proceeded to implement such functionality using the
> then current SpiderMonkey (i.e. pre TraceMonkey, meaning I'm facing a
> significant merge -- the joys of DVCS),

I don't think you'll find it a hard merge; the tracer is (by design)
pretty well isolated from the rest of the engine.

Mike