return when desugaring to closures

Dave Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Aug 21 15:43:28 PDT 2008

Lex Spoon wrote:
>> The approach you are saying won't
>> work, is in fact the chosen and working solution for other languages
>> that have gone this route.  My understanding is that programmers using
>> these languages have been happy with the arrangement.

We all know about the benefits of specification by desugaring. (I do
know a thing or two about macros, ya know.) But desugaring only works
when the feature you want really *does* layer properly on top of an
existing feature. The simple reason we haven't specified `let' as a
desugaring into `function' is because we want them to behave differently.

Dave