local

T. Michael Keesey keesey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 10:40:32 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Ingvar von Schoultz
<ingvar-v-s at comhem.se> wrote:
> Peter Michaux wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Ingvar von Schoultz
>> <ingvar-v-s at comhem.se> wrote:
>>> The keyword "let" breaks the very valuable JavaScript tradition
>>> of using intuitively meaningful keywords.
>>
>> I have read a lot of math proofs that start with "let x be the..."
>
> That's exactly the problem. The word makes perfect sense, it
> has an easily understandable meaning. And this meaning has
> nothing at all to do with the localness that the word is used
> for.

Arguably it does. In mathematical writing, it implies that the
following assignment is "local" to the current discussion or proof.
That is, it's not a definition that has any relevance within other
sections of the text.

(However, MathML uses "declare" for this purpose.)
--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology