local

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 20 09:04:23 PDT 2008

I think Ingvar bring up an interesting point.  While this usage on "let" feels very natural to those of us who have had exposure to functional languages that use it in this manner, it may not be nearly so intuitive to the millions of "script writers" who will be exposed to it. (And, arguably, there are probably still quite a few more former BASIC programmers out there, to whom "let" means assignment, then there are Scheme and ML programmers.)  In addition, while I can't personally speak to it, I can also see where there may be understandability issues for non-native English speakers.

I think it is a fine idea to consider usability issues like this as we work towards defining ES-Harmony.

Allen