A Proposal For Formalizing __noSuchMethod__ in ECMAScript 3.1.

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Tue Aug 19 09:22:55 PDT 2008

2008/8/19 Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org>:
> On Aug 19, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>> As we discussed in Oslo, I expect there will need to be a significant
>> version between ES3.1 and ES-Harmony.
>
> It's not clear what ES-Harmony is, but the main idea is a major successor using a
> better specification technique, with new syntax where appropriate, and some new
> semantics if we agree (new Name, e.g.).
> We did not lay out a roadmap including two successors, for sure. That is, we did
> not agree to do a 3.2. So I think it's premature to assign any 3.x version right now.
> The work is the thing, not the staging into manageable specs.

I agree, and I had not meant to imply otherwise. My text above was
precise but confusing: "As we discussed ... I expect ...". Thanks for
the clarification.

When I try to imagine the process, personally, I do expect that there
will need to be a stage between the two -- in order to decouple the
substantial changes to the spec formalism from the substantial
differences between ES3.1 and ES-Harmony. But as you say, there was no
general agreement or disagreement on what the staging should be
between ES3.1 and ES-Harmony. Nor does there need to be at this point.

> Thanks for the pointers to proxy and membrane work. Many implementations
> have wrappers of various kinds already. Then there was the ES4 catchalls
> proposal, which if you ignore namespaces can be used as an informative
> source along with the other precedents.

Agreed.

--
 Cheers,