Wiki login

David-Sarah Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 12:41:19 PDT 2008

Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2008, at 11:23 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
>
>> Brendan Eich wrote:
>>> We in Ecma TC39 have been using wiki.ecmascript.org for committee work,
>>> but with almost everything visible to the public. What were you hoping
>>> to do with it?
>>
>> Contribute to the discussions there. It's much more efficient to do that
>> by editing the wiki than by commenting here -- that's what wikis are for.
>> In particular, I wanted to comment on security implications (both
>> positive and negative) of some of the proposed extensions.
>
> The standards process is pay-to-play within Ecma, except for
> Universities. See my reply to Peter Michaux sent just now. We would have
> to consult with the TC39 chair about including non-members as invited
> experts, and in general such experts have been invited only to one or
> two meetings. The public wiki is new for Ecma; we're still working out
> how it should work.

OK, but to me this makes the wiki a significantly less reliable source
of information, since I cannot have any confidence that if someone (not
a member of TC39) had seen an error then they would have been able to
correct it. Note that this is not just a theoretical concern; I have
seen a large amount of obsolete or incorrect content on the wiki (in
both the ES3.1 and ES4 sections) that I suspect would probably have
been fixed long ago if they were more openly editable.

Some wikis distinguish between editing and append-only commenting, where
the latter can be configured to be allowed for a wider group of users.
For Docuwiki there is a plugin to implement this:
<http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:userannotations>
It also allows users to edit their own comments.

I think there are clear advantages to this over having to search mailing
list archives to see what comments have been made on a given page.
However, it still preserves a clear distinction between "official" page
content written by TC39 members, and comments by other users.

> In the mean time, please post thoughts here.

I will.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood