types

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sun Aug 17 11:14:09 PDT 2008

On Aug 17, 2008, at 10:44 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Given the nature of standards bodies (Ecma is not uniquely challenged
> in this regard), the process of making standards is like making
> sausage. Don't look too closely, but do insist on hygiene and good
> ingredients.
>
> That means design by committee, inevitable to some degree, should be
> a matter of hammering out compromises on secondary issues: bike-
> shedding the best name for a new method, e.g. The primary design
> elements should come from actual implementations, general created by
> individual design/implementation leads, and already proven to some
> extent with non-trivial user communities.

Insisting on hygiene and good ingredients isn't enough -- you (the
interested public in general) must be able to inspect the committee's
sausage-making. Hence our desire for transparency via a public wiki
with detailed meeting minutes.

This reminds me: the redaction (if any) and publication of meeting
minutes has fallen behind lately. I'll work with TC39 on this.