types

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:17:03 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Neil Mix <nmix at pandora.com> wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> I took Neil's point to favor not only a separate lint-like tool
>> (which some find painful to procure and remember to run), but
>> possibly something like Cormac's idea I mentioned a few messages
>> ago: a type checker that runs when the code loaded in a web app
>> seems complete, and gives warnings to some console -- but which does
>> not prevent code from running.
>>
>> Neil, how'd that strike you? It could be built into some developer-
>> extension for the browser, so you wouldn't have to remember to run
>> jslint.
>
> Logistically I prefer to run the checks before it gets to the browser
> (i.e. via Makefile as the first step of build-package-deploy in a
> complicated (read: mature) in-house development environment)

Each time you make a minor change to your code you need go through
build-package-deploy in order to test? I wouldn't stand for that kind
of overhead! ;-) Avoiding this overhead is one of the advantages of
using a language like JavaScript.

----

If you are interested in a lint program to do your checking then the
following could be made to work now with ES3

function(a /* : int */, b /* : string */)

[snip]

Peter