function hoisting like var

Ingvar von Schoultz ingvar-v-s at comhem.se
Wed Aug 6 15:30:48 PDT 2008

Yuh-Ruey Chen wrote:
> FWIW, I definitely like this proposal more than any convoluted
> var-scoping block proposal.
>
> I just don't see the value of adding var-scoping blocks for the added
> parser complexity, and problematic return/break/continue.

Unfortunately it seems people dislike the notation too much.
But the complexity that you discuss must be supported anyway.
Regardless whether it's written {let} or {{var}}, they both
say the same thing, and what they say is supported in ES4.

My code looks convoluted only because it's an odd trick.
Not only does it add {let} functionality to ES3.1, it also
strives very hard to make the tiniest possible change.

That tiny code is also conclusive proof that {{var}} is
extremely simple and has no capture problems, despite many
vague claims to the contrary.

Unfortunately it seems people dislike the notation so much,
they prefer having no {let} functionality at all in ES3.1.

--
Ingvar von Schoultz