ES4 stable draft: object initializers

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Apr 30 11:06:19 PDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 9:05 AM, Lars Hansen wrote:

> Here is the third draft, which I have tentatively labeled as stable.
>
> Please note the OPEN ISSUES, the input of everyone on these would be
> appreciated.

No one has addressed this OPEN ISSUE:

  * The meta::prototype facility does not allow 'null' as a value.

I'm already "spoken for" in the stable draft. I did want to add this
information:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/search?string=__proto__%3A

which shows no one in the cross-referenced cvs.mozilla.org sources
using obj = {__proto__: null, ...}. I don't have results for other
repositories, or for Mozilla-specific content on the web.

So I'll withdraw the request to allow null, even though the extent to
which it cripples the expressed object is not different in kind from
what you can do with obj = {toString: undefined, hasOwnProperty:
undefined, /* etc. */}.