ES4 note: Reserved namespaces

Waldemar Horwat waldemar at google.com
Mon Apr 28 17:39:11 PDT 2008

I agree with everything except:

* reserved namespaces may not be aliased (ie they are illegal
  on the right hand side of "=" in "namespace ns1 = ns2")

If we want to make reserved namespaces into keywords, that might be ok.  However, at the current time they're not keywords, and one could write:

  const foo = intrinsic;

and:

  namespace instrinsic = my_namespace;

Being able to write those but not:

  namespace foo = intrinsic;

is just splitting hairs without achieving anything important.  You still shouldn't be able to define properties in the reserved namespaces except as outlined in the proposal.

One can also write:

  var intrinsic = 3;

which (I hope) would shadow the intrinsic namespace within its hoisted scope.

    Waldemar