Date Format?

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:15:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM, Robert Sayre <sayrer at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/3/31 Nathan de Vries <nathan at atnan.com>:
>  >
>  >  Without being part of a standard such as ES4...
>
>  It is a library problem. The ES4 language spec is not the place to fix
>  every standard library deficiency.

That's funny. Even if it's missing the point.

One benefit of having a standard formatter would be expected standard
result. I've seen quite a few date formatters that assume the whole
world speaks English. Korea likes having their dates formatted in
Korean. Similarly for Japanese, and Spanish.

Keeping property-objects of key-value pairs for each language seems to
be considerably large overhead.

Here's English:-

    months : {
        full : ["January", "February", "March", "April", "May",
"June", "July", "August"
            , "September", "October", "November", "December"],

        abbr : ["Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun",
                "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"]
    },

One strategy is to (1) make a file for each locale.
CalendarLocale_en.js. This can be seen in the DynArch DHTML Calendar.
This is more efficient than (2) cramming every locale in one file.
leaving non-localized strings in the main file is never a good option.

Either way, it requires translating date components manually, for each
language. I don't speak Korean, and if nobody in my company does, then
what, hire a translator?

The other approach (and a fairly common one), is (3) to assume that
English is the only language. This fails to fulfill the use case of
localized date formatting.

Properly formatting dates, solution (1), in ES is a lot of work.

Is there a way to add Date Formatting to ES4 without adding too much
bloat to the language? What's the least ES4 could do? How much would
that cost, in terms of "bloat" to the language?

What I'm not getting from this group is the answer to solve the
problem of formatting dates. Lets not turn a blind eye to the problem.

Garrett