Crockfords isEmpty

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Apr 17 10:46:36 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Keryx Web wrote:

> Especially I wanted to see if isEmpty (and function.name) had been
> discussed (two features I would use a lot that I now have to program
> around). The wiki is kind of silent on discussion.

That's because no one has proposed isEmpty for ES4. The only hit from
this site-specific search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Aecmascript.org+isEmpty

is this:

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?
id=es3.1:targeted_additions_to_array_string_object_date

The function object name property has come up:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=F6X&q=site%3Aecmascript.org+%
22name+property%22

See in particular the first hit:

http://bugs.ecmascript.org/ticket/303

> The suggestions are
> not even discussed in the context of ES 4. Are there any meeting notes
> somewhere? Or IRC logs?

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?
id=es3.1:targeted_additions_to_array_string_object_date

was created on 2007/04/15 with isEmpty as part of the proposal. Since
ES4 is supposed to be a superset of ES3.1

I'm surprised this hasn't been proposed to the ES4 working group.
Probably we're supposed to keep track of 3.1 proposals, and I (among
others) have failed to do so. On the other hand, everyone has had
trouble keeping up with what's current in the wiki. So we probably
need both the 3.1 and 4 groups helping each other keep up, and I'm
talking to 3.1 folks about this right now.

So, the hope is that isEmpty will make it into new editions of the
standard. I'm in favor, FWIW.