ES4 draft: assert expression

Lars Hansen lhansen at adobe.com
Fri Apr 11 10:16:14 PDT 2008

We talked about debugging information and an assertion form on
es4-discuss a while ago, in a thread about the Error object.  As a
result of that discussion, I'm sending out a draft for an "assert"
expression form.  In addition, the Error object draft will be updated to
accomodate a new subclass AssertionExpression, and a simple standard for
debugging information will be added to the description of the Error
classes.

The last detail from that discussion, about providing a way for programs
to set the source origin and line numbers -- aiding translators -- is
still open, but I am aware of how desirable this is for certain
applications.

Anyhow, here's the first draft spec for the assert expression.

--lars