Dynamic class default (was Re: Class method addition...)

Jeff Dyer jodyer at adobe.com
Mon Apr 7 11:54:27 PDT 2008

On 4/7/08 11:13 AM, Peter Hall wrote:

> I feel there is a need for a way to declare that a variable must be of
> a dynamic type. The best syntax I could envisage would be  for
> "dynamic" to indicate a dynamic pseudo-type, when it is used in a type
> expression. But it would be quite crippled without having intersection
> types too.

We considered this when designing AS3, but passed on it as being one too
many uses of 'dynamic'. We felt that using the dynamic-ness of the class of
the type annotation gives the user sufficient control in most cases. And
anyway, without a static verifier ES4 won't be affected by this particular
design trade-off.

Jd