Class method addition and replacement (was Re: AOP Compatibility)

Nathan de Vries nathan at atnan.com
Sat Apr 5 00:42:54 PDT 2008

On 04/04/2008, at 1:35 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> EIBTI!

Perhaps not the best reference given the topic, given that Python
makes class overriding and resurrection of overridden classes
possible with their __builtin__ module.

I'm actually quite surprised to hear that there are so many on this
list who are happy to drop EcmaScript's usual dynamicism in favour of
so called "integrity". Monkey patching is prevalent on the web, and I
believe that the practice should be supported, not feared. Sure,
developers will be able to explicitly mark areas in their code which
they deem appropriate for another developer to change, but that
strikes me as a bit of a fantasy land.

The majority of code which requires patching by external developers
was never written to be patched, but people do it anyway. This is
good, don't you agree?

--
Nathan de Vries