Strict mode recap

Lars Hansen lhansen at adobe.com
Thu Apr 3 12:52:08 PDT 2008

Yes.  AS3 has an annoying restriction on where
user-defined namespaces may be used, but the
following example captures it without using E4X:

  package X {
    namespace myns;

    class C {
        myns var v = 37;
    }

    var x = myns;
    var y = "v";

    print((new C).x::[y]);
  }

This does print '37' if compiled with ASC and run through
the Tamarin VM.

> I guess I don't see what use case is satisfied by this
> feature that isn't already met by the existence of Map.
>
> After all, the effect of this feature is to turn lexical
> environments into (quasi) first class maps, with the peculiar
> restriction that new name/value pairs cannot be added, though
> existing ones can be mutated.  If a user actually needs that
> functionality, it wouldn't be difficult to subclass Map to get it.
>
> And, yes, I know it's already possible to do this with
> lexically scoped eval.  But why do you want to add another
> way to do it?

Let me turn it around.

The syntax ns::v is in the language, for constant identifier v.
If E4X is implemented in an implementation (as it will be in
ActionScript and presumably in Firefox, at least), so is
ns::[expr].  How would a restriction to require ns to be a
compile-time constant (in either form) and not a run-time
value, or a restriction to disallow the latter form in ES4
but not in E4X, benefit ES4?

--lars