Class method addition and replacement (was Re: AOP Compatibility)

Lars Hansen lhansen at adobe.com
Thu Apr 3 12:45:20 PDT 2008

Just to echo Peter here, changing a method violates integrity in
the worst way.  If I say "new Cls" I *know* that the object I get
is of type Cls, and if I know the implementation of that class I
know what a call to a method of the type will do.  There is no
way subclassing can get in the way of that knowledge, but allowing
methods to be arbitrarily assigned to (even with constraints on
type compatibility) completely destroys that invariant.  But that
invariant is one of the main benefits of having classes in the
first place.

(There are efficiency concerns too, but I think the violation of
integrity is the important part.)

--lars