Strict mode recap

Lars Hansen lhansen at adobe.com
Tue Apr 1 12:22:20 PDT 2008

It was actually written up in great normative detail in ES1 (section
10.1.6, 15.3.5.3 are the more important sections), though with some
hedging but ineffectual language about "bad style" and "compatibility
with old code".

Strangely, built-in functions were exempt from the mechanism (ch 15
intro); I don't know if that's a pragmatic issue (implementation
reasons)
or a security issue.

The mechanism is not described in ES2, which I thought was a bit strange
in that ES2 was supposed to be simply(?) the bugfix version of ES1 that
corresponded with the ISO standard.

--lars