Language Size (was Re: [TLUG]: ECMAScript ("Javascript") Version 4 - FALSE ALARM)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Oct 30 13:23:26 PDT 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 1:01 PM, Chris Pine wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>> Can anyone address feasibility of a small full implementation
>> (source  code all the way to execution)?
>
> If we didn't think it was feasible, we wouldn't be here.  :)  While
> we don't have a full implementation yet (no one does), progress is
> looking good.  Our latest engine, just out in Opera 9.5 beta, is
> both smaller and considerably faster than our previous engine (which
> we've shipped on many small devices).  It runs on devices smaller
> than an iPhone, no problem.  (How much ram does an iPhone have?  I
> don't see that on Apple's site.)

Does your latest shipping engine implement parts of ES4? If so, how
much?

By the way, I think the discussions about language size could benefit
from some quantitative data. I think the following comparisons would
be interesting:

1) Size of the ES4 grammar relative to the ES3 grammar (say, by count
of productions).

2) Size of the ES4 standard library by count of classes, methods and
properties.

I am willing to run the number on these if someone can help me find
the grammar and some sort of standard library index in the spec.

Regards,
Maciej