Chris Wilson: What I think about ES4

Mitch Skinner lists at
Sun Nov 4 08:41:57 PST 2007

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
> I personaly don't care about Microsoft opinion EXCEPT that they are
> the ones doing Internet Explorer (IE), you know, that (still) 80%
> market share internet browser, the one your users are visiting your
> website with...
> So, as developers, we're out of luck.
> Mozilla and Adobe thought the same and came up with the
> ScreamingMonkey project, which is an ES4 runtime that can be installed
> for Internet Explorer. Nice, but how long will that work ? Given that
> Microsoft has no intention of helping, I can foresee that each
> IE/Windows update will break something.

I thought that ScreamingMonkey planned on using a published & fairly
stable API to do this.  Does anyone know of non-Microsoft users of this
API?  How hard would it be for them to break it?

Assuming that vbscript and silverlight use this same API, I have to
think they'd be pretty conservative with it.  Even if it were to change,
it couldn't be that hard for ScreamingMonkey to keep up.